top of page
  • Writer's pictureQBN Tigers Club

Magpies Too Strong In Wet Conditions!

Jake Oram in his First Grade Debut.

In atrocious conditions the Tigers fell short of inflicting defeat on the Belconnen Magpies last Sunday at Dairy Farmers Park by 15 points. Two goals in the time on period of the third quarter paved the way for the Magpies to win a close encounter. A further two goals in the time on period of the last quarter provided the Magpies with a comfortable victory considering the conditions.

They had 10 more scoring shots than the Tigers but failed to take advantage of their possession particularly in a tight finish. It has been described as the wettest day ever at Dairy Farmers Park. Rain fell throughout the match making for a soggy playing arena churned up by the Tigers Reserve Grade fixture match against Belconnen.

The Under 18 Grade match was postponed and will now be played on Thursday evening at Dairy Farmers Park commencing at 5.30pm.

First Grade

Belconnen kicked the opening goal of the game within the first two minutes taking full advantage of a dry ball. They did not kick another until midway through the second quarter. The Tigers were showing plenty of endeavour with fierce desire to win the hard ball in tough conditions. Two goals in the opening term with another in the second quarter gave the Tigers the lead at half time albeit by a point as the Magpies peppered their goals with few majors being scored.

The game never reached any great heights with over head marking non existent. It was a back-line pass that gave the Magpies an opportunity late in the third quarter which they pounced on and scored. They posted another immediately after to swing the match in their favour. It was near impossible for the home team when the Magpies posted the first goal after the ¾ time break but the game was in the balance until the dying stages with the Tigers unable to convert even though having plenty of ball in their forward line.

It was a day for the little guys with Toby Conroy, Mitch Daniher, Will Griggs and Michael Wescombe dominating proceedings for the Tigers. Youngster Andrew Swan showed plenty of ability and agility for a “big” man often clearing the ball out of defence. Kris Thompson made a welcome return and relished the wet conditions. The Tigers have now lost three in a row and are in danger of losing further ground if a win does not eventuate against Ainslie on Saturday at Ainslie Oval. In a tight competition every game is vital with loses in the past few weeks proving very costly.

A big congratulations to youngsters Sam Daniel and Jake Oram who both played their first game in 1st Grade.

QUEANBEYAN 2 0 3 1 5 1 6 1 37 BELCONNEN MAGPIES 1 2 2 6 4 8 7 10 52 QUEANBEYAN Goal Kickers: J. KAVANAGH 2, T. Conroy , M. DANIHER , M. WESCOMBE , M. ARMSTRONG Best Players: T. Conroy, M. WESCOMBE, W. GRIGGS, K. Thompson, M. DANIHER, A. Swan BELCONNEN MAGPIES Goal Kickers: A. Ainger 3, L. JEFFREY 2, G. Underwood , J. JENNINGS Best Players: S. Henning, A. BENNETT, J. Love, G. Underwood, J. JENNINGS, S. CURTIS

Tigers legend Doug Daniel giving his young bloke Sam some advice before his 1st Grade Debut.

Reserve Grade

In very similar circumstances the Tigers Reserve Grade team lost their encounter against the Magpies. They were well on top of their opposition by half time and on the way to inflicting the Magpies first defeat of the season. But after the break they lost the plot with six third quarter gaols to the opposition – three from 50 metre penalties! In the end the penalties were the difference on the day.

Although they fought the game through to the final siren, what could have been a fantastic victory in difficult circumstances ended up being a disappointing loss due mainly to undisciplined efforts of a few who must learn to accept the decisions of the men (or women) in orange.

Again it was the smaller guys who shone on the day with David Corcoran playing his best game for the club. Although not to keen to play in the wet conditions – (even offering a bribe to call the game off) – his wet weather ball handling and endeavours to win the hard ball were a feature of the game. Liam Wilkinson showed his undoubted class after returning from injury as did Andrew Lieschkie whose second game back since ankle surgery will put him in the spotlight for a return to the top grade in the near future.

Once again the team finished the game without a bench with four players succumbing to injury prior to three quarter time. Mitch MacKenzie returned to form after struggling early in the year. When fitness returns Paul Williams will be a very strong asset to either of the two senior grade teams.

QUEANBEYAN 2 3 5 6 5 6 6 10 46 BELCONNEN MAGPIES 0 6 2 7 8 9 8 13 61 QUEANBEYAN Goal Kickers: P. Williams 2, K. WATTS , A. LIESCHKE , D. CORCORAN , C. WALSH Best Players: D. CORCORAN, M. MACKENZIE, L. WILKINSON, B. ORMSTON, P. BRIEDIS, A. LIESCHKE BELCONNEN MAGPIES Goal Kickers: D. Posch 5, M. Douglas , A. GATENBY , J. Low Best Players: S. MIEKLE, M. Douglas, A. WHITTARD, B. Dess, S. Boyd
Ladies Team
Queanbeyan (W) 1 1 1 2 3 2 4 2 26 ADFA (W) 1 0 2 4 3 4 6 4 40 Queanbeyan Goals: Davina Harris 2, Fran Langi, Katie Newton. Best: Davina Harris, Hannah Dunn, Kristen Turner, Jacinta Froud, Rach Short

The Tigers ladies team were desperately unlucky not to post their first win of the season in wet conditions at Town Park against ADFA on Saturday.

In the first half the Tigers were slow to get into the game and allowed ADFA first use of the ball. The back-line, led again by determined efforts from Kristen Turner, Dani Louis and Rach Short, worked together to try and restrict the ADFA team, however it was ADFA who were able to post the first goal of the game. That seemed to kick start the Tigers as they worked a little harder and Davina Harris, on her way to a best on ground display playing in the midfield, pushed forward and made the most of an opportunity to give the Tigers a one point lead at quarter time. The second quarter started much like the first as again ADFA were first to the ball and built an 8 point lead at half time.

The Tigers made a brighter start to the second half with Hannah Dunn again playing well in the ruck and captain Jacinta Froud trying her best to lift the team. Davina kicked an almost action replay of her first goal to close the gap before a incorrect decision by the umpire, mistakenly awarding a 50m penalty against the Tigers after receiving abuse from the ADFA coaching staff, gifted the ADFA team their only goal for the term. The Tigers to their credit responded well and vice captain Fran Langi booted the teams third major (and the first of her career) to reduce the deficit to just two points at the final term.

The Tigers hit the lead in the final term when a great handball from Siau Goh gave Katie Newton an opportunity to goal, which she duly did. The Tigers then had opportunities to increase their margin but were unable to do so. Half way through the final term both Hannah and Davina were forced from the field with injury which made the job that much tougher. A correct free kick gave the ADFA team the chance to take back the lead which they were able to do, the Tigers defence’s inexperience showing a little as the ball probably should have been able to have been touched on the line. With seven minutes to go their was still time for the Tigers but to be fair it was the ADFA team that had all of the run in their legs in the last five minutes and kicked away to the final margin of 14 points.

While the result was disappointing the effort of the ladies on the day could not be questioned and the improvement they continue to display in their first season is a credit to their efforts on the training track. Another highlight were the debuts of Te Ani Lusk Waititi and Jacqui Williams who both showed a lot of promise in their first games. The Tigers team next face the Belconnen Magpies at 12 noon next Sunday at Jamo oval.

2 views0 comments


bottom of page