top of page
  • Writer's pictureQBN Tigers Club

Vale Jock McAulay


The funeral service for Jock will be held in the Presbyterian Church of St Andrew, State Circle, Forrest on Thursday, 12 January 2017 commencing at 10:30am.

Cremation will follow at Norwood Park Crematorium, Sandford Street Mitchell at 1:30pm.


The Tigers have lost a stalwart.

One of our oldest supporters, George “Jock” McAulay passed away recently, aged 90.

Born in Scotland in 1926 just a year after the formation of the Queanbeyan Tigers, Jock was almost as old as the club itself and was certainly a huge part of it.

Jock was born into the Dunlop family in Scotland but grew up in foster care. At age 13 he became too old for foster care and was taken in by Mrs Annie McAulay.

He joined as a local defence volunteer in Scotland aged 15 and served with the Royal Air Force during World War 2 in Malaya.

In 1949, aged 22, he moved to Australia and changed his surname to McAulay after the passing of Annie.

He continued his service with the air force in the Middle East and Europe and later served in Vietnam.

Jock was featured in an Anzac Day Canberra Times article on the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing. At the time he was quoted as having mixed emotions about Anzac Day, saying “I remember the things that other people wouldn’t like to know about, things you will never forget.

On Anzac Day you have a few beers, chat to old mates and go home again,” he said.

Jock had many occupations throughout his life, mostly as a motor mechanic. He was also a driver/clerk for the NZ High Commission, and a diesel mechanic for Levers Coaches of Queanbeyan.

Unbeknown to most of our Tigers supporters Jock was also a renowned singer and with a female partner came runner up in a Vaseline Hair Tonic Competition in Malaya.

In the 1970s Jock was drawn to Australian Football, firstly through his three sons Ken, Dave and Andrew, and then grandson Will, who all played junior and senior football with the Tigers. Dave was a talented all-rounder who went on to play over 100 1st grade games and is a member of the 100 Club.

Since the 1970s Jock rarely missed a Tigers game up until last season when ill-health restricted his attendance. He was always in the changerooms before and after games, and in later years could always be found in the first row at the top of the stairs on the “home” side of the Margaret Donoghoe Oval grandstand from where he regularly wished coaches all the best as they hurriedly made their way up to the coaches box before each game.

As well as showing his support through attending games, Jock also supported the club as a long-time Growlers Member.

He will be sadly missed.

Funeral details are expected to be published in the Canberra Times in the coming days.

1 view0 comments


bottom of page